Saturday, February 14, 2009

And now it is February

So I fell off the update wagon. My Italian class did start up, I had some craziness at work, and then some great time with Tim which kept me away from the computer, but it looks like I am back again.

To start: New Year's Resolutions:
1) Have less stuff: I spent time going through cassette tapes and eliminating some. I bought a few singles to replace stuff and created a list to buy at a later date. iTunes turns out to be nice since it doesn't really take up extra space. In short- I got to get rid of another box from that front closet.
2) Go to the gym: I haven't been going so much- I went back on black tea, but am still sleeping more and trying to adjust my schedule since going off of caffeine. In addition, snowy mornings make me not want to go to the gym before the sun comes up. Since I have to take a shower at the gym, I also don't like taking a shower there during what I will call my lady time, so momentum has decreased. I really enjoy being there when I am there, so I just need to get the schedule going again.
3) Volunteer: I haven't found a place to give time. Once my schedule for the gym gets set up, I'll have a better idea on when I'll have time for this.
4) Go out more often: I have gone out a bit in spite of feeling a bit of a hermit. It is nice to get out of the house.
5) Spend money on myself and my appearance: I am feeling the general feelings of the economy, which means I don't want to spend too much. I spent money on other things this month, but I think I can fit this in better once the tax refund comes.

The big to-do list:
1. afghan for afghans for Afghans.
2. Consolidate retirement plans from previous jobs.
3. TBD
4. Confirm accuracy of addresses.
5. Get in direct contact with everyone who sent me a Christmas card this year.
7. TBD
9. Watch all my Looney Tunes DVDs.
10. Lose at least 20 pounds 
11. TBD
13. Go to the gym at least three times/week for one month.
14. Finish at least 5 books I already had sitting on my shelves.
15. Visit Mom.
16. TBD
18. Visit family graves.
22. Get amber ring fixed.
23. Finish a Wii game.
24. Finish Pikmin 2.
27. Try a new recipe every month.

The rest to come:
28. Finish DK Junglebeat. This one stays and fits into the desire to use what I already have.

34. Find and buy jeans that fit well. This one resonates with Resolution 5, so it definitely stays. I have shoes and other clothes that are starting to fall apart and I foresee some serious money being spent on this stuff in the next few months out of necessity if for no other reason.

35. Buy a good black turtleneck. Sure, this one goes well with 34 and Resolution 5.

37. Make something with a piece of fabric I already own. In pulling things out of my closet, I was confronted with many, many craft projects. I'm pretty sure the fabric I have owned for years does not need to stay with me and should be given to someone who will really use it. Nonetheless, I do think that I should make one thing before giving it away. I have some ideas on what to make and it is just finding time to do it.

38. Go through and organize jewelry. This is a good idea and one that maybe should be put on hold. It absolutely fits in the have less stuff/get organized mode that I want to be in, though. I'll keep it, but reserve the possibility of refining what it means to be done.

39. Sell/Try to sell something I've made. Yes, I will do this. I still feel like all the stuff I do is not quite right. It is a problem with perfectionism that I have- I can't imagine that anything I make by myself would be desirable enough to someone to put a monetary value on it. Maybe getting over the perfectionism that limits me should be a driving goal.

40. Finish at least 4 of the cross-stitch kits that I have. I am working on this and it goes hand in hand with Resolution 1.

42. Make and post a product for my website. I know what type of thing to make, but I haven't figured out the details. This goes along with using what I have and doing crafty things, so this one can stay.

43. Buy beeswax candles. I came up with this one once I found out that paraffin was a petroleum product and that it releases stuff into the air when it burns. Of course, it isn't like a car, but beeswax was the better option. Since I have the cat, I don't really burn candles nearly as much as I used to, so I think I'm taking this one down. This is an unnecessary purchase in contradiction to Resolution 1. This one is now TBD.

44 Go to a fair. Yes, I really want to do this and will watch the calendar for it.

45. Invite someone to my house every month. I had initially chosen this goal to try and recapture the more social feel I had to my life a few years ago. I did have the book club over in January, but haven't had anyone over for February (I'm not counting Tim in this, since I assume he'll come over more than once a month). Since I've been trying to go out more often, I kind of feel like that should be the direction my social goals should be. In order to lessen the social pressure I put on myself, I'll call this one a TBD as well.

46. Clean out the front room closet. I kind of did this since all those boxes are now sitting in the office area and the closet is looking pretty good. Truly, I still have work to do- but progress is made and I'm keeping this goal.

47. Clean out filing cabinet. With tax prep coming, this will probably be a good time to do this. This is in line with Resolution 1, so it stays.

So there is the next level of re-evaluation. It is time for me to get all the way through the list and then get cracking again. I'll have TBD things to think up and hopefully refine the focus of what I am doing. - Now, back to cleaning out those closet boxes-

No comments: