Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The card

I have paid off and canceled that Citibank card. Now I am reduced to cash and a credit card not widely accepted. I'm pretty happy about it. Unlike some other people my age, I haven't really accumulated credit card debt, so this wasn't a big necessity. If I could, I'd live on cash and never use credit. It may be the result of my parents who never used credit cards. They told me credit cards would ruin me if I let them, so I didn't.

I'm not a fan of Citibank. I called to cancel the card and told them I was giving up credit cards. 
They then connected me to some senior credit guy (salesman) who then tried to sell me on a new credit card. 
No thank you, I am getting off of credit cards. 
How much other debt do you have? I can get you a lower rate if you transfer it to us. 
No thank you, I don't really have any other debt. 
What is most important to you in a credit card? I can make it better for you.
No thank you.
Well, thank you for your business for these past years. And if you want to re-open your account in the next 6 months, please call.
Ok, thanks, bye.

I know they have to do this as part of their job, but when I said I was giving up credit cards and pretty much stuck by that story, I was surprised at the tenacity of the man on the phone. My brief summary does not do justice to this man's sales technique. I think this is why I am not in sales.

Another goal achieved! I can't wait to list another.

No comments: