Monday, June 30, 2008

Goal 30 Completed

Goal 30 (get wii fit and use it) was harder to achieve than I had expected. Sure, I knew Nintendo was doing their biggest marketing campaign ever for Wii Fit. I even saw all the TVs in Toys R Us playing the instructional video about it. Yet, I didn't plan ahead. Then I read that the UK was running out of them. Still, I believed I would have no problems. Then the day came that I wanted to buy it and couldn't.

I called stores periodically and checked when I was near a store I figured carried it. It wasn't until a friend/co-worker called me at home on a vacation day that I knew of a place that actually had them. Yes, I saw the work number and actually picked up the phone on a vacation day and it paid off. I hadn't even changed out of my pajamas when news hit and I flew out of the house within 5 minutes of confirming with the store.

In short, I do like it. Tracking your Wii Fit age is a little random, but amusing. It is partially based on your ability to remain still perfectly balanced. Some days are just better than others. The workout has made me sweat at times. The yoga is good and there is one position in particular that seems to hit the tight muscles in my shoulder and back just right. The strength training exercises are also good. I turned to Tim and admitted that I was sore from playing a video game. The aerobics is good for the morning since it isn't super strenuous and the balance games are just fun- especially the skiing. Having some kind of check on whether I am doing things right or not (i.e. center of balance tracking) does have some real appeal. What I also learned is that my bathroom scale is horribly off.

I had my suspicions about this scale in spite of its guarantee of accuracy. For some reason it would get stuck on exactly the same weight for a couple days in a row. Let's create a fictional weight and say it weighed in at 1F5.0. It would stay at that exact weight, including the tenth, for more than one day. Then it would drop, let's say to 1F3.6 and stay there. And then bounce up to 1F8.8. Always the same tenths with the same the weight. No small incremental changes either. That didn't seem likely. Now, in the end, I don't have a guarantee that the Balance Board is any better than the scale, but for the first week I used it, I dropped steadily if not dramatically. I bounced up in the past day or two for weekend eating (a little heavier than my weekday meals had been) and a cyclical weight gain I wouldn't be able to avoid. My weight did change daily, which seems a lot more plausible than the scale.

Unfortunately, I need to take a break from my training and send the wii away for repairs. It's been making some noises from the drive and before it goes totally kaplooey, it should get fixed. That means I won't be able to confirm how close I got to my first 2 week goal, but I look forward to picking it up again once the wii is returned. I've heard that weighing in daily is a bad idea since the body can fluctuate so much in day- but I found it to be a good reminder in the morning to watch what I eat and what I do. 

I'm marking this goal off a little prematurely since I didn't reach the end of my first 2 weeks to see how well it went in total, but I am encouraged enough to know that I will definitely keep using it once the wii is safely back in my possession. This will hopefully get me closer to completing my goal of losing at least 20 pounds that also stands uncompleted so far.

2 comments:

Martina said...

I am very excited about your Wii Fit and look forward to hearing more about how it works for you. I've been intrigued by it since you mentioned that dance thing, which sounds like it would be fun. I have made it my goal to lose 20 lbs by the end of October too. I am hoping it will be faster and more, but I figure that 20 pounds is a super reasonably acheivable goal. For now, I've just been going walking every day, which has been good, but it would be fun to have something else to do too (especially as the weather her in the nw starts to "crappen".

Martina said...

I am very excited about your Wii Fit and look forward to hearing more about how it works for you. I've been intrigued by it since you mentioned that dance thing, which sounds like it would be fun. I have made it my goal to lose 20 lbs by the end of October too. I am hoping it will be faster and more, but I figure that 20 pounds is a super reasonably acheivable goal. For now, I've just been going walking every day, which has been good, but it would be fun to have something else to do too (especially as the weather here in the nw starts to "crappen").