Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Natural Ocurrance of Things

I just updated my master list of goals (the first post) and was able to update two more. 

First, I haven't really passed around this blog to everyone I know. I find it perhaps a bit too personal to mention to people at work. I'd love to invite other friends to do it as well, but I haven't asked anyone other than Martina. I'm glad she is in on this with me and I hope she is finding it motivational, too (is it?). Lately, I have begun to tell people about the project even if I don't point them to this website. I shared the bra fitting story with my mahjong buddies at work and let them know it was part of a bigger 100 things to do scheme. They have since asked me about my 100 things and how it's going. Once a month, I go for a massage. I told the woman I see for that about my 100 things to do and let her know what number one was (knitting an afghan for afghans for Afghans). She let me know that she has stopped knitting and she could donate her leftover wool to me. That was really wonderful. As I left she said she had been thinking that coming up with 100 things would be hard. Truth is, at first, I thought so, too, but I'm already looking forward to coming up with another 100 after I complete these. Some might be the same- many will definitely be different.

Today is Father's Day and every year since my dad died about four years ago, I have a Sam Adams beer for him. I woke to a miserable, rainy day and decided I'd stay in and just kind of shuffle around the house, so it was a good thing that I bought the beer yesterday so I didn't have to leave the house. In the process of shuffling, I decided to update my website, which I haven't done in a while. Knowing that just about everyone looks other people up on the internet, I've decided to pare my current website down and break the content into two to make each more unified. Now, in the process of this updating, I have found that the color scheme has been set. I've had some ugly colors up there for a while. I'm choosing two and sticking to them for now. In addition, I'm updating the book club list pages which was another goal. They aren't perfect, but they are better (well, one so far- I still have to update the other one). 

The other goal I completed was finding a way to share my pictures. I had mentioned perhaps a calendar, but via Flickr, there is a printer that does mini-cards (smaller than a business card) with your pictures on them. I ordered my first set of 100 and eagerly await their arrival. There is a group on Flickr that talks about their use of these cards and I am a little bit inspired by it, so I am already planning on getting a second 100 cards. It is really nice when the internet allows me to fulfill idiosyncratic goals.

In the end, this post isn't very exciting, except for the fact that I continue to progress through the goals. My massage therapist did the math and asked if I had 10 days to achieve each goal. I hadn't thought of it that way, but it did make me think I had better get cracking on some of the ones that will take more time or else I really won't have the time for them. 1000 days sounds so long, but like 250 GB of space on an external hard drive, it gets used up faster than you think.


1 comment:

Martina said...

It IS motivating, Anne! I have things on my list to update, but just haven't had the time since coming back from vacation.

I'm sorry about your dad - I know that first year is really tough. I was on vacation and travelling when Father's Day hit, so I was able to mostly just put it out of mind.

Also, in my list of random comments: very cool about the afghan! I heard about that organization last year when I was taking my fall retreat at the coast and meant to look it up when I got home. Thanks for reminding me!