Friday, September 26, 2008

October Round Up - Anne

Here we go- another update to see how things are going. I may find the time to post more specifically on some of this progress-

1) Make an afghan for afghans for Afghans - I have some yarn, donated by friends and I am highly motivated to start. This should begin this week.
2) Consolidate 401k/IRA/503b plans hanging around from previous jobs - I brought my car loan over to the new bank and have fully consolidated my liquid accounts at one bank. Next, I want to eliminate one of my credit cards. I admit I have two because I got one from the credit union, which is the one I want to keep. Once this final step is done, I will proceed with the evaluations/consolidations!
3) Research before and one year after consolidation the performance of the funds - Nope.
4) Confirm at least once that all address in my address book are accurate - I call this progress because I just updated an address today and have actually been in contact with people (found out someone moved to California and I had no idea!)
5) Call everyone who sent me a Christmas card within 6 months of January 1 - The address updates have helped- I only have a very few people I haven't been in contact with even if I didn't call. I think I reset the parameters for this one to this next Christmas and vow that I will finish the address book update at the same time.
6) Sell extra books - Done! And now I will do this more regularly since they actually bought some of my books!
7) Buy a good pair of winter boots - The time is near.
9) Watch all my Looney Tunes DVDs - I haven't done this, but I have a funny motivation based on having read Old Man's War, in which the main character downloads all the Looney Tunes cartoons. I liked the book pretty much, too.
10) Lose at least 20 pounds - I decided not to weigh myself this week. A change to my diet should mean that I am on the right track, but we'll see next week when I come back to weighing mysef.
11) Get green stripe belt - I just noticed the bad spelling I had in the previous post for this. Oh well. I may need to re-do this one. With the back pain keeping me out of kicking commission, I reflected back on my initial search for a martial art and my main focus was on weapons. I think I need to return to that, since that was the initial motivator, and choose a new place based on that. 
12) Be able to do a high-section roundhouse kick - I am calling this one done. I did do it and the truth is, even if I did it with a little help one for the full dramatic version or against an opponent that was a couple inches shorter than me for a less dramatic look, it was still done.
13) Go to taekwondo class three times a week for at least one month - Affected by my new search- will have a new parameter set.
14) Finish at least 5 books I haven't finished yet sitting on my shelves - one of five done. I continue to read, but have been reading other things. It will happen. Seriously.
15) Visit Mom for a week - No plans yet.
16) Visit Tim's family - No plans yet.
17) Visit Uncle Matty - I got to see Uncle Matty at my cousin's wedding. Not only that, I got to dance with him and sit at the same table with him. I should be seeing him again in a non-wedding situation, but I am counting this one done- the dancing makes the difference!
18) Visit family graves - Not done yet.
22) Get amber ring fixed - Not done yet, but I have now two amber rings to fix.
23) Finish a Wii game - Dance Dance Revolution, Rock Band or Guitar Hero? I tried to play Elebits with Tim on my birthday weekend and it made me get motion sickness- and we were so close to finishing! Progress made, but not done yet.
24) Finish Pikmin 2 - Not done yet, but I better pick up the pace since Pikmin 3 is in development.
27) Try a new recipe every month - I made an Inside Out Pineapple cake this week. It wasn't bad. I like carrot cake better. Ongoing.
28) Finish DK Junglebeat - I played a different game that uses the bongo controllers, but nothing done on this one.
34) Find and buy jeans that fit well - I haven't even tried. Once it gets cooler, this will become more of a priority.
35) Buy a good black turtleneck - The time is coming.
37) Make something with a piece of fabric I already own - I've pulled out all of my yarn to shame myself into seeing how much I have that I haven't used yet. So wasteful! I have a feeling a pile of fabric will be following it.
38) Go through and organize jewelry - Stalled out.
39) Sell/Try to sell something I've made - This may be one way to use up that yarn.
40) Finish at least 4 of the cross-stitch kits that I have - Nope. Not now. That yarn.
42) Make and post a product for my website - Strategizing still
43) Buy beeswax candles - Still on hold. The upside- my living room smells like cinnamon (well, maybe an upside to some) as I burn through what I've already got.
44) Go to a fair - I missed it! I can't believe it! On my birthday weekend, I missed the Big E and said I would go to the Topsfield fair. Then I drove by the cars waiting in line to go to it as I went to NH. I didn't even know it was going on and I drove by it the last day! Ok. This looks like it is next year now. 
45) Invite someone to my house every month - After my birthday outing, people came over to play wii. I had a good time. ongoing.
46) Clean out front room closet - I just pulled some yarn out of the closet!
47) Clean out file cabinet - Let's say I have filing to do.
48) Try to print my own photos on printer - I think the printer is attached now, but I have scanning to do before I print anything.
49) Organize/Store files sitting under desk - No further progress.
52) Import DVDs into computer- Nope.
54) Get Looney Tunes on my iPod - Although this would facilitate my viewing of Looney Tunes, I haven't done it.
55) Catch up on podcasts - This continues to be fun. I added a Live Polka podcast. Yes, pretty weird, but it is happy music for the morning and for sitting in traffic on the way home (I can tap my hand against the steering wheel in time to the music while I wait!). In addition, I am now catching up on the Radio Adventures of Doctor Floyd, which is pretty fun, too.
56) Set up folders for iPod in iTunes and organize updating/synching - I think this is basically done, but will hold off on checking it off until I catch up on one particular podcast.
57) Post to website every month - Please ignore this for now.
61) Decide on other domain name: parked domain or new site and set it up - It is the setup part that still needs to be done
62) Get a full first draft of translation - I got access to the university library to facilitate this. I even went and began doing more translating. My time feels tight and I dream of getting a nice translation setup at home. So progress was made, but is stalled a little to see how I can get it into my schedule better.
63) Figure out camera settings for indoor group pictures - I haven't looked into this more.
64) Find something red to wear for rat year - I wore a red bracelet on my birthday. I will put it back on tomorrow and hope good luck follows.
65) Figure out what to do with earrings I don't wear - I'm thinking bracelet, but haven't actually looked at what I have to work with yet.
66) Read travel book by Achim von Arnim - Not yet.
67) Go to geek knitting meeting - I think arranging my own geek knitting is what will have to happen- unless going to the guild meeting counts. I think it might. Too bad this stopped right after I found out about it.
68) Evaluate usefulness of Seashore program - I just heard about another open source graphics program for the mac. I need to look into this.
70) Finish scanning old paper photos - That is part of cleaning out files under the table. Fingers crossed, will be done by the end of this year.
71) Join a guild - Joined the Crochet Guild!
72) Get a backup made of my digital/digitized photos - Not done yet.
73) Start to learn a new language - Cute language wins. Studio italiano!
74) Find a Spanish reader and read it- I found it. I haven't read it.
75) Learn at least 250 kanji - No advancement yet.
76) Read one of the Polish books at home - Not yet.
77) Read through/finish Vietnamese textbook - No advancement yet, although I put all the audio material on my iPod.
78) Compliment a total stranger - Done! There was a woman headed into the office who looked fabulous in a color I could never wear. I let her know how great it looked on her. I realized the real block to this may have been just talking to a stranger. I notice people all the time, but taking that step to break the silence between people is kind of tough (unless they are jerks driving in front of me- ok, even then I don't think they hear me).
82) Buy a friend lunch when it isn't their birthday - I had a great lunch and was happy to pick up the tab. 
83) Have a day where I fully live: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." -I actually feel I may be closer to being able to do this. At work I've instituted some walks to get me away from the computer and the stress (one in the morning and one in the afternoon- about 5-10 minutes each) and it has really helped my overall attitude. I thought about it when I thought of line workers who get breaks (unless they work for a lousy company) and how I just don't move from the computer for most of the day. It really makes a difference to take a quick walk.
84) Translate my resume into German - I did a first draft of my resume in CV form. It isn't in German yet.
85) Take someone on my favorite downtown walk - Not yet.
86) Write letters to three people letting them know how special they are - Not yet.
87) Set up an ebay account to see that sanrio item - Not yet, but I tried to investigate what the pricing/paypal/seller's membership options are. I'm still a little confused.
88) Finish a first draft of a creative writing project - I have two stories partially written. I know one of them, I can't pick up the story again. It is sad, but the tone of voice and the projection of the action were so based in a specific time, I can't even remember what I was going to do next. Sounds like a re-write.
90) Spend no money for 4 days straight - The last thing I bought was on Tuesday- I went to the grocery store. I decided to buy lunch tomorrow. I got 2 days along without trying. I think I can do this if I just plan ahead.
91) Eat at No 9 Park - Not yet.
92) Eat at Aujord'hui - Not yet.
93) Figure out how I will convert to digital TV - No real plan for this, but I should figure it out in the next couple months.
94) Bind a book - Nope.
95) Make/Attempt to make all the box patterns in that origami book - Another nope.
96) Make the cherry blossom origami that was the reason I got that other origami book - Thrice nope.
97) Save for/Plan/or Actually take a trip to the Pacific Northwest - The lottery and racetrack have not paid out yet.
98) Meet Wendy's children - Not yet.
99) Try to learn a song on the harmonica - I have a deep seated desire to play the concertina. I have now learned that in both German and Italian, the concertina is a harmonica. Can I use that to fulfill this? As a polyglot, I think I have that flexibility.
100) Learn 5 chords on the guitar and be able to switch between them all well - Still a "to do" item.

No comments: