Monday, November 10, 2008

Migraines and a new to do list

I got my first migraine headache when I was a teenager just at the end of high school or so. I would get a headache and find that I couldn't really handle loud noise or bright light. Since then, I've gotten them again every so often, but I found within the past couple years, I was getting them a bit more than usual for me and they were a bit worse more often.

I can't move when I have them because the pain in my head is so horrible- that is, until I am about to throw up. I am amazed at the body's ability to know certain things when you logically can't know them, for example, the moment when thinking about vomiting becomes reality and you seem to have just enough time to make it to the bathroom and you can overcome the utter misery of movement to make it there. Of course, the feeling your entire head is splitting open once you get there isn't good, but I'm still amazed at how well the body can communicate these things.

So, I'm thinking of re-writing one of my goals that may or may not happen to become the plan to investigate migraine triggers. I got a book recommended by the nutritionist that lists steps to take to work through migraine triggers and issues. I already know that red wine is an absolute trigger. I still taste it and will drink a light Pinot Noir every once in a while, but anything more than that will have me in utter pain. When in Italy, I thought the red wine in Monterosso was too heavy, but I decided to go ahead with it, since it was a lovely night (the first time I heard the Mediterranean waves!!) and I was sure one night wouldn't be bad. Well, it was bad. I was glad we ended up in the hotel with the huge, fancy bathroom.

So, I'm planning on working through the steps- some of which don't apply, but others of which will be pretty intense (no coffee, tea, sugar for a month? seriously? can a person even live like that?). When I do my next big update- you may see this listed as a goal for something that is not likely or can't happen, maybe the green stripe goal since I haven't been to taekwondo class since the back spasms came back. Good news on that front is that I have begun doing my exercises again and I am seeing some good improvement. On the other hand, I wanted to do a martial art with a weapon and the place I was going to doesn't offer that, so I may go elsewhere. 

Nonetheless- I have been working, even if I haven't been posting.

No comments: