Thursday, November 13, 2008

New content and a technical question which needs an urgent answer

So, the question is: 

Dear Abby or Martina as the case may be,

I made a goal to live a day of "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." I thought I had it yesterday, but then I decided my emphatic, "Is she still working for us or is she gone?!" sounded a bit too mean spirited, even if I followed up with the "I just hope she's found greener pastures" line. So, today, I did it. This is particularly hard because my office is full of wiseasses and a snarky comment or two is pretty much standard for everyone at least once per day. Ok, maybe I just end up hanging out with the wiseasses, the effect is the same. Nonetheless, I dodged the entire world of wiseassery and then as I was driving to my Italian class, which is always positive (the class, not necessarily the driving), I muttered at someone who honked and then drove erratically behind me, "Oh, so you're just eff'n weird." Yes, I didn't say the whole word and no one was in the car with me. I could have thought it and it would have been the same, but because I have a tendency to talk to myself, I said it out loud. Does this count? I need an outside opinion on this. I don't think I'll have a chance this weekend to be negative free, because I'll spend part of it with my sister and we'll complain about our family a little as always. 

So, the question is: If you say something out loud when no one is around and a different person who doesn't talk to themselves might never have said it out loud, does it count against me in the "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all" challenge? I really need to know.

Now, on to new content. I belong to two different book clubs. I generally keep up with both no problem and usually get at least one other book in there as well per month depending. Unfortunately, my extra book this month was really long and the first book club book is also quite long. The second book club book is shorter, but I got it late since another member took it out of the library before I got there (probably the day before I arrived!).  So, since I'll be doing a long drive this weekend, I decided to go ahead and get the one book I'm only halfway through from audible.com. Since I have been catching up on my podcasts, I found out I could get a free book through the Radio Adventures of Doctor Floyd show. This is great. Of course, I am now nervous that I won't cancel the trial membership and I will have doubled the audio/reading content in my life. Oh well, I've been doing a good job on the podcasts, although I'm still not fully caught up. What I have found is that I love the current, non-fiction, political podcast which is the Bill Moyers show from PBS. My fear (and it is a good one to have) is that I will buy non-fiction books from audible and become addicted to listening to them, thereby setting back my podcast goal but increasing my already great knowledge. I've already caused problems by subscribing to new podcasts (but how else will I get good free-reed instrument music, huh?), but I am really enjoying it. So, I write this entry as I download my first book (yes, non-fiction) and hope I can keep my reading/literature/listening addiction under control. 

3 comments:

Martina said...

Dear Am-I-a-Wiseass:

I think it all depends on what your goal in the keeping not nice things to yourself. If it's to inflict no harm with your wiseassery, then I think it's okay if you say something only you can hear. If it's to avoid negative vibes in general, then self-conversation probably should count. Ultimately, I believe that the minor wiseassery between friends or even just in our heads can actually help keep us from getting so fed up that we explode into full on bitchy and mean. I know that one of my coworkers and i sometimes make cracks privately that neither of us would ever say to anyone else and that this little bit of release is sometimes the difference between keeping our "filters" on and calling other people useless fucktards to their faces.

Anne said...

Thanks for the response. I think it is to inflict no harm. If it was to avoid negative things in general, I am pretty sure I would have phrased it more along the lines of "Find the positive in every situation" for one day or "Make goodness a priority for a day." So, I do believe I can write this one off. And I agree with you that small acts of wiseassery can help keep down the aggravation that may build up otherwise.

Martina said...

You're welcome. What a good thing to do for a day. Maybe I will try it too.