Saturday, January 10, 2009

Welcome to 2009

So here I am in 2009. Rather than do a full re-evaluation of goals, I'm going to do a mini one and comment on the first six of the remaining ones to do. I'll try and work my way down the rest.

Before beginning that, the New Year's Resolutions, no matter how vague they are, are in force. I've been going to the gym or doing Wii Fit everyday this week. I've been using those Dr. Hauschka products I bought (and now trying to figure out how I can continue to afford them). I've spent some time making things to donate to charity (unless a friend asks for one and then I'll just make something else). I've been a bit more thoughtful and reflective lately and I think that is a good thing, as long as I don't just spend all my time by myself in pajamas thinking. Eventually that just turns into crazy (although a very comfortable, pajama-wearing crazy).

So on to re-evaluation:
1. afghan for afghans for Afghans. 
This one stays. I've started to work on it regularly. Schedulewise I figured out in order to complete it in a year, I need to make 2 blocks per month, which is really easy to do. They move pretty quickly. I'm on target right now, but would like to actually finish it in less than a year. This was my number one goal because this was something that I really wanted to do for a while.

2. Consolidate retirement plans from previous jobs. 
This one stays, but was more from a general "get yourself financially organized" motivation than anything else. I've put other financial things before this goal, but it all leads to simplifying and organizing my finances in general. I'm starting to get too old to let decisions about my retirement investments made in my mid-twenties sit much longer. If only I had been a trust fund baby, I wouldn't have this issue. Alas, my parents were far too blue collar to set one up for me. In short, although I haven't fully realized this (I did consolidate one into another, but that isn't all of it), I think each step I am making to clearing up my financial life is a step toward this goal. I'll know the larger project is done once I've finally gotten to the point of doing this.

3. Research before and one year after performance of retirement funds.
I think this one has to go. It is really tied into number 2 and the longer it takes me to organize my life in general, the less likely I am to meet this within the set time for these particular goals. In addition, I have the feeling if I were to research recent performance, I might be crying myself to sleep. So, I am going to free this one up. I don't know what to replace it with yet, but it will be replaced.

4. Confirm accuracy of addresses.
This one stays. I am getting ever closer to achieving this goal.

5. Call everyone who sent me a Christmas card.
This one stays. I got 12 Christmas cards this year, which is a little lighter than previous years. One of them is from overseas and I don't have a phone number, so I'll probably count e-mail or snail mail for that one. OK, so I'm altering- the new one is 
5. Get in direct contact with everyone who sent me a Christmas card this year.

7. Buy a good pair of winter boots.
I think this one will go. Winter is here and we've already had what feels like 100 feet of snow. I was wearing boots not really meant for winter- knee high with a decent heel, although a chunky one. How I forgot about my Doc Marten's I don't know, but I finally remembered I have them and pulled them out for the most recent snow storm. Excellent. Although not specifically meant for snow, they turned out to be fabulous. I may need to get some new boots next year, since I can see the heel is a little worn down, but these are great. I bought these when I was in college (is it 15 years ago already?) on my way home from my very first trip overseas, which was also my very first trip on an airplane period. I had a stopover in London and got them there. They are a little big on me, but with winter socks, they are absolutely perfect. I wore them once on a hike when I was in California and told the guy I was with that I was a bit of a hiking wimp. We got to the top of a not very high, but pretty steep and dusty hill and I made the comment that I was tired (bored might have played a factor, too). He turned to me and said, "Wow, you are a wimp." I associate that moment with these boots and the vision of them, previously fairly pristine now covered in fine reddish-brown dust. While in college, I was told by an old roommate that you need to christen Doc Marten's by vomiting on them, having sex in them, and some other activity I honestly don't remember. By the fact that I don't even remember the third thing, you can guess I never took this recommendation seriously, especially considering they were suede and prior to the hike, the idea of getting them wet, let alone vomiting on them was pretty bad. In short, there are a decent amount of memories tied to these shoes as well, which makes them kind of interesting to wear again. It seems in all the times I moved, I kept forgetting I had them, so they have honestly lasted in decent condition for this long. I think it is finally time to wear them out.

So that wraps up the first re-evaluation. Tim made a comment to me that he's said before about a million times that I spread myself too thin. I do have a lot of interests and want to do a lot of things, so it is hard to narrow stuff down. In addition, I've always been a bit more experience focused than goal focused, so although it is gratifying to cross things off of a list, I really haven't made that many lists in my life except for short term to do lists. So as part of my not yet crazy pajama thinking days, I've really started to think about how to focus myself more and cut down on what I expect myself to do. Like sewing. I have this quilting book that I don't think I'll ever use. It was a good idea when I got it a few years ago, but I have my doubts that I'll actually do it. Honestly, just writing that, there was a voice in my head saying: No, you can do it and it would be cool. I guess it is that voice I have to learn to listen to selectively. I think with each goal that I free up, I will use it to create goals that are more focused and less far-reaching. That doesn't mean I can't try new things or look for new experiences, but I think it means that I will be able prioritize certain things over others. That would be good.

No comments: