Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What- More re-evaluation?

Yes, it is time to add another round of goal re-evaluation.
First, a quick note on the New Year's Resolutions. I was able to eliminate a box from the closet. I found tax forms from 2002 that had not been filed away from to two moves ago (I did file my taxes that year, though). I also found a lot of other things to shred and eliminate. Some of it was put into another box or put into my desk drawers, but I definitely began to make a dent in my have-less-stuff goal.
Going out more? No- not really since the snow has put a damper on things- I honestly tried one day this weekend. I have been paying attention to what's around town more though.

Now to the big list.

To recap:
1. afghan for afghans for Afghans.
2. Consolidate retirement plans from previous jobs.
3. TBD
4. Confirm accuracy of addresses.
5. Get in direct contact with everyone who sent me a Christmas card this year.
7. TBD
9. Watch all my Looney Tunes DVDs.
10. Lose at least 20 pounds 
11. TBD
13. Go to the gym at least three times/week for one month.
14. Finish at least 5 books I already had sitting on my shelves.
15. Visit Mom. 

New or re-affirmed goals

16. Visit Tim's family. 
This goal will need to change. I did spend last year writing letters to his mom saying that we should visit, but this goal depends on another person, i.e. Tim. That complicates my ability to do something. I don't think I should have goals for others in my list, so this will be TBD.

18. Visit family graves.
This one stays. It is something I haven't done in a couple of years and it is good to remember everyone.

22. Get amber ring fixed. 
This stays and I'm making this a higher priority. I now have more than one to fix and none of it is very complicated, so I just need to go to the jeweler. About time.

23. Finish a Wii Game.
This one might be done. I set the completion level low for Guitar Hero: Aerosmith. I bought this game for a non-Aerosmith song and decided once I beat it on Expert, that I could then buy the song to listen to and sell the game. That is done. Somehow, this doesn't seem a fair story for finishing a wii game, so I'll keep this up a bit longer- but in my heart, I know I am already a winner.

24. Finish Pikmin 2.
This one stays. I'm at least half done (I think). It is just a matter of having a pajama day dedicated to Pikmin instead of reading, crafty things or Lost.

27. Try a new recipe every month.
I did this for the past year. This was meant to be motivational to get me cooking at home again. It has worked at that basic level- I just need to cook more often at home now- both for financial savings and to control the quality and content of what I eat better. So, I may call this one done before the full time is up (the next few months perhaps) and redefine one of the TBDs to be a step further on this goal. I'll need to think that through.

So that is another 6. I have freed up 4 goals (now TBD) which I think should definitely be used for refinement or progress on the other goals. Thinking about what these goals were really supposed to accomplish beyond just something to do is a really good exercise since I didn't really think that deeply when I started. For example, the video game goals had more to do with using what I had instead of buying more stuff. This goes for the craft goals, too- although these may seem kind of trivial, the completion of these actually has a deeper goal at the base- thriftiness. I think if I were to draw up another 100 goals next year when these are done, I would organize them more by theme or broad goal broken down a little. I wouldn't want it to be too linear in nature (goal 4 can only be done when goal 3 is done, for example) because that would potentially frustrate me. In general, I think the goals and resolutions have been trying to make me more mindful of what I have and how I spend my time. I didn't realize that either until the re-evaluation stage happened. I'm glad Martina talked about re-evaluating since I might have missed this otherwise.

No comments: