Friday, January 25, 2008

Things that seem harder than they are

Things still to do: 97
Things worked on: 1, 5, 10, 14, 38, 45, 33, 56, 57, 59, 62, 67
Things completed: 21, 51

Since my last post, work on my goals has been pretty action-packed. I wrote small amounts about all of them, but will those come out slowly. Now I can celebrate accomplishment of two things at once! Hooray!

Yes, it is ridiculous it took so long to order the component cables. Finally I did it and not just to get an easy win. You see, I had this receiver that doesn't receive. I used to use it to amplify a CD player back before I had an iPod. Then I used it for the iPod so I could listen to it while putting together a puzzle or doing something crafty in the living room. The problem was that the receiver had no radio function and so it sat in the corner pathetically, a half-ceiver. Recently, though,  I was handed down a receiver that receives. It looks about 20 years newer and has more fancy hook-ups. Brilliance struck and now the receiver is not only receiving and ready for iPod hook-up, it is also allowing me to enjoy my television in real stereo sound for the first time. I had no idea that audio from my tv could sound like that. With my new-found appreciation for the power of my television, I decided I could no longer wait for the video component cables. If the receiver had this power, then these cables might just be magic as well. Of course with the completion of this resolution, I am very excited to tackle that task of figuring out how to handle the digital tv conversion. I think a bigger tv just might handle that.

In the end, this very inconsequential and rather pointless story points out to me that sometimes things end up taking their own time. I put some things on my list that I've been meaning to do for a while. Why haven't I done them earlier? Even something as simple as ordering cables? Because sometimes one's mind just isn't there. Too many other things, and sometimes fictional things, get in the way. 

I recently read Stardust by Neil Gaiman and in it, a tree gives a leaf to the protagonist and tells him he will know when to use it. Inherently knowing when to use something is a convention used in other stories to varying success as well. I think this plot device is used because we all have moments of realizing, "Ah, now is the time. Now it makes sense. Now it falls into place." I believe this is the hope that fills attics and closets with birthday and Christmas gifts that we just don't need when they are given to us. We are waiting for the moment to say, "Just give me a second: I have the perfect thing."

Sometimes we need to help these moments happen and sometimes they happen on their own. My list of things to do may be a push to get circumstances to the right time for 100 activities. At least so far, it has helped for three. 

2 comments:

Martina said...

Oooh! How did you like Stardust? Or did I hype Neil Gaiman so much that he had no hope of living up?

Anne said...

I read American Gods no too long ago and had a woman on the bus begin a conversation with me because she loved that book so much, so you aren't the only one. I enjoyed Stardust- and I liked in the end that it doesn't turn out the storybook way. I am trying to formulate something about that and Fouque's Undine, where he ends up with two women. I haven't quite gotten my head around that idea, though.