Sunday, March 9, 2008

The (not so) New Car

Things left to do: 94
Things worked on: 4,14,25,27
Things completed: 8

I am now the official owner of a car. Maybe it is a truck. An SUV. I can admit that, I think. 

I contacted someone about a class I'd like to take and found out, according to the public transportation website, that it would take me 2 hours from work to the class location. I said I'm planning on getting a car soon, so I'll be back in touch. Well, it turns out she was selling her car. I said I'd take a look because it was so cheap and then I decided it was a deal I couldn't really pass up. She sold it for less than its blue book value- so I am hoping that when I trade it in (when I am ready to take on a monthly payment), I will kind of be making money on the whole deal. In the meantime, I am the owner of a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Having waited until my mid-thirties to even own a car at all, I think I may be forgiven for a couple months of gas inefficiency.  The whole deal went so quickly and I am really just trusting her a lot on how good the jeep is- I'll take it in for a once over in the next week or so with a mechanic, but I saw the repair records and she did put a lot of money into it. I feel pretty confident it will be OK. Perhaps not perfect, but good for what I paid at least.

Of course I now have a car of my own for the first time ever. I got the insurance on Thursday and the plates on Friday- now what? I went for a massage on Saturday morning and it was great not to have to factor in 45 minutes to an hour for public transportation each way since I wouldn't be certain when the bus might come. It paid for itself then (OK- not quite). Saturday rained like crazy, so I didn't do any other driving until today, Sunday. I just came back from a shopping trip to get (as I told everyone I would do) a huge amount of kitty litter. How nice not to keep buying the expensive and packaging-wasteful small packages. Plus, I don't have to worry about this for two months or so now. In the glory of having so much space in the car, I decided to get my cat an inclined cardboard scratcher with a little dangly thing on the underside. Brilliant, I think. I made sure this was one of the first things I carried upstairs and laid before her. Of course, with cat nip on it, she began licking it. No scratching. I left the room and when I came back she had rolled herself all over this thing and was covered in brown dust- cardboard shards or cat nip- I'm not certain. I told her it was for scratching and she seemed to not care.

So, that is the completion of one more goal. It isn't anything like I expected it to be. I imagined getting a brand new gas efficient, zippy little car. In the end, it is much closer to the pick-up trucks I rode in as a kid (my dad's car was always a pick-up) and driving around, I imagined getting a pick-up truck instead of the zippy car. Nostalgia can be a powerful force- perhaps my time in the giant jeep will help me get over that for the sake of the environment.

No comments: